Miss Helen Wood Green, 1920-1921
League Name: Junior League of Trenton
In December 1920, Helen Wood Green (later Mrs. James Imbrie), who had friends involved in the Junior League of New York, held a meeting at her home on West State Street in Trenton, NJ, to which she invited 25 of her friends residing in the area. A representative from New York City was there to explain what a Junior League did. It was decided then that this group would form the Junior League of Trenton whose purpose would be “to give to its members the opportunity to obtain a knowledge of the social, literary, and industrial conditions of their city; of the fields of social and civic work which were open to them; and by classes, discussions and social gatherings to equip them to become factors for good in their community and to make efficient their volunteer services.”
With Miss Green as its first President and the Junior Leagues of Baltimore & New York as its sponsors The Junior League of Trenton became one of 30 members of the Association of Junior Leagues of America.
Charter granted February 1921
President: Miss Helen Wood Green
Board of Directors:
Mrs. Francis W. Hunter
Mrs. A. Caryl Bigelow
Miss Virginia Turford
Miss Molly Serson (Mrs. Robert Belville)
Mrs. S. Leslie Tattersall
Mrs. Joseph L. Bodine
The League undertook practical work from the beginning and aided in furnishing the new home of the New Jersey Children’s Home Society on Parkway Avenue.